~ My dad
I just reached home from tutoring my cousins .
They stay at Yishun so I had to take train home . ( cos' I stay in Woodlands . )
When I alight from the train , I saw a night market just beside the mrt station .
I suddenly remember yesterday my dad said he wanted to eat mee siam ..

Yesterday he reached home quite late after work , and he's very hungry .
So he keep hinting to me , "Jia Hui , I want to eat mee siam . "
I teh gong teh siao ( act blur ) say "huh .. but downstairs de shop close liao leh . "
Then continue to watch my tv .
But I jolly well knows that just beside causeway point there's this night market , which also sells mee siam .
But I'm just too lazy to get up from the sofa .
I feel so bad !
Cos' the journey from my house to causeway is only less than 10 minutes .
But I chose to stay by the tv instead of help dad buy .. knowing that he has had a hard day at work .

My dad's a car mechanic ..
He can built a vehicle , or repair a vehicle .
No problem .
He's been in this line for more than 30 years .
He told mi that his education level is only until primary 3 , cos' he doesn't like to study .
So he went out to work at the age of around 10 years old ?
He said luckily a very kind man [ he call him his shifu ( master ) ] took him in .
And gave him a very decent pay of 50 cents a day .
I was laughing my ass off when i heard this .
50 cents a day .
Just imagine ...
But he said at that time , 50 cents is like $100 to us ..
Cos at that time the value is low ma ..
2 cents can buy a bowl of noodle .
Unbelibable !

Anyway back to him being a car mechanic .
He's a very hardworking individual ..
I seldom heard him complain about work ..
But when I go to friends' house , they'll say how the so and so boss dun like their dad or mum or whoever .
But my dad , all his bosses like him !

His shifu passed away around 10 years ago ..
And since then he has been changing company ..
But still doing the same job .
Which is to repair vehicles ..
Mostly lorries I guess ..
And his pay , is even higher than those degree holders sitting in office i swear ..
Ok more bout this later ..

So ..
Everyday he came home so dirty ..
I didn't mean he's dirty , but in the sense that ..
Cos' he works in the factory ma ..
How clean do you expect it to be ?
Plus repairing vehicles leh ..
You think he's at an office desk typing ah ?
I can hardly imagine .
LOL .

So i guess the tyres and those lubricating oil ? and probably the environment make him into a black man .
He came home everyday looking like he just fall into a pit hole .
But after bathing , he goes back to his usual lux-man .
Yes he uses lux ..
Those bar-soap types ..
I ask him why don't want use those can press de ..
He say he scared he too muscular , press one time the thing will break .
HAHAHAHA .
So he uses the lux bar soap .
WHY AM I TALKING BOUT SOAP AGAIN -_-;

Anyway back to topic , cos' he works in this line , I fear for his safety .
What if , like in the movie , the vehicle dropped onto him ?
Luckily in all these years , it had never happened .

But almost everyday when he came home from work , I saw some injuries ..
Here and there .. everywhere ..
Small injuries .. big injuries .. all sizes ..

There's one time i remember his right elbow kena knocked by a falling metal thingy ..
And the metal is very heavy ...
So he fractured his elbow ..
And his elbow was bleeding like non-stop ..
But my dad said he was too shocked to say anything ..
So he use his motorbike ( that time he got motorbike .. but now he drives a family car ) helmet to cover his elbow in case the blood dripped everywhere .
Then he went to the office and tell his shifu ..
His shifu at that time still thought my dad's kidding , cos' after working with my dad for so many years , he knows my dad's a very careful person ..
Then his shifu take away the helmet , and his jaw dropped ( my dad say he looked more shocked than my dad was . )
And he immediately sent him to hospital .
LOL .

This kind soul had passed away ..
My dad never cry .. but it's the 1st time I saw him drop tears ..
I suddenly feel so ..
I don't know how to explain ..
I'm a soft hearted woman .

That time in Secondary school when I saw a little boy eating a plain bread at a bus stop , tears well up in my eyes .
Don't say i siao ..
I'm just .. aiya .. more emotional , more feelings can ?

Ok back to my dad ..
So after his shifu passed away , many companies want him ..
So he anyhow went to one ..
And it appears that the boss like him too .
LOL .

Shall i go into the pay part ?
I better type out all my thoughts .
If not next time when I flipped back my archives to read I also dunno what i reading .

So its nearing new year , and its time to take ang pow and bonuses .
My dad has just joined the company less than 6 months , and he got the bonuses too !
Its 4 digit .
So as all of you might have guessed , the other colleagues doesn't like my dad !
Cos' why ?
My dad's hardworking , he can finished the required task in 3 days but other people need one week .
That explains why the boss like my dad ..

Got once , I think its a bit exaggerating .. but my dad told me that ..
His boss bought coffee for him ..
Then i say so what ?
Then my dad say , one day when he's repairing a vehicle , the boss's son went to talk to my dad ..
He told my dad that , the boss had never bought coffee for anyone in the company ..
And my dad has just joined the company for less than half a month .

Just imagine , if u were the other workers , how would you feel ?
If I'm them , I'd probably complain to my wife , gossip with other workers bout how unfair it was .. or best , quit .

But who to blame ?
My dad finished his job in half the time that u need to do it ..
His fault ?

So ..
My dad scold the boss the 2nd time when the boss bought coffee and started a chat with my dad .
My dad say , u dun ka jiao ( disturb ) me ah .. I got a lot of work to do .
Who in the right frame of mind would say that to his boss ?
Yes .. my dad .

The boss said he went around asking other companies that my dad had worked for , and it turned out that the current boss giving him de pay is the lowest .. so the boss feel so pai seh .. but my dad didn't even hao lian last time how much he'd earn in other companies .. So that's the reason why he got the bonus .

You people got it now ? Don't anyhow malign my dad OK . He works for it ..

WA ! Why I say till here ..

Anyway I alight from the mrt and saw this night market ..
And i suddenly remember his words yesterday ..
But when i went to the stall that sells mee siam , it's already all sold out .

So i went to buy nasi lemak instead ..
It includes rice , a fish fillet , hotdog and a fish cake .. ( all my favorites . in case dad never eat, i eat . HAHAHHAA )
And you guess how much it cost ?
$6.55 ..
I don't know why it's so expensive ..
But nvm la ..
So I brought that home , feeling less guilty for making him cook maggie mee yesterday ..
So when i reached the door step , he seem to have a gou bi zi too ! ( nose of a dog )
Cos' he asked mi , WA ! MAI SHE MO HAO LIAO GEI WO ? ( buy what good stuffs for mi ? )
I say nasi lemak lor ..
Then he say ..
Aiyoyo .. but i bought mee siam from the night market leh ..
Then i was thinking .. " he must have bought the last packet -_-; "

So anyway .. he ate both the mee siam and nasi lemak ..
He asked me how much i bought , I said er .... ... $3.80
Then he say " WA ! so expensive ah !? "
Just imagine if i said $6.55 ..
It'll be too precious and he would probably ask me to share it with my brother .

I say " okok la .. I just got my pay from tuition .. So i very rich .. "
But he didn't know that my tuition is only 10/hr ..
I also don't want him to know ..
Just let him think that it's 30/hr ..
If not he keep give me money I also don't feel like taking ..
I always tell him I very rich when he wants to give me money ..

Cos' .. it's simple ,
His money .. is real blood sweat money ..
He has to work so hard for it ..
Under the hot sun , rainy days , all those injuries ..
Whereas mine ..
I just need to sit down on a desk ..
And coach them how to solve algebra ..
How to pronounce those alien words ..
And I got mine ..

I suddenly feel like crying again ..
Don't say i siao please ..
I'm just soft hearted ..

Almost every Sunday , I'll cook for the family ..
Then my dad will ask me how much I spent on the ingredients ..
Then I'll say cheap cheap only la .. If not he stuff money into my bag again ..

But idiot also know pork ribs and bacons and fish and fillet ain't cheap .
Got one time .. he saw the receipt ..
He asked me .. " WA ! $66.90 CALL CHEAP AH ? "
I say ..
" NO LA ! You see .. i bought shampoos also . buy one free one ! So i buy 2 jiu free 2 lor ! Cheap cheap nvm ! and chocolate .. and sweets and tidbits .. "

I just anyhow bomb ..
Anyhow point at the receipt and say something that's not related to household ..
He don't understand those words anyway .
But in the end he stuffed me with a $50 note ..
And say he's usual sentence ..
" yao sheng zhe hua .. bu yao she me dou mai .. ni men de yi fu pa si ren ah ! wo yi jian yi fu chuan 5 nian .. ni 5 jian yi fu chuan 1 nian .. "
Which , translate into english will become :
Must be more thrifty .. Cannot see what jiu buy what .. your clothes ah .. so many liao still buy .. My one tee shirt can wear for 5 years .. But your 5 blouses you only wear for one year jiu throw away or give people .. .. ... ..

One thing I like bout my dad most is he never complains or sulks ..
He rather give me and my brother money to go downstairs buy dinner and he cooked maggie for himself . He rather starve but we must eat . He never complains when he cooked maggie noodle .. But when he asked mi to wash the pot , i complains and sulks . -_-;

I guess every parents are these noble aren't they ?
Fret not my friends , your parents love you too :)

I shall learn from him ..
Every weekends' morning he'll buy those economic bee hoon / noodle with chicken wings and hot dog and fish fillet and otah ( I don't like otah but never tell him .. in case it upset him , I pass the otah to my bro secretly ! ) which cost around $3 plus near $4 per packet .. But he'll buy those $1 nasi lemak for himself .. 2 packets ! ( cost even less than one packet of the bee hoon that my bro n I eat lor ) He scrimp and save for us ..

He's so selfless ...

And .. ..




He is my dad !!

.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.
I love you daddy !
How weird ..
People nowadays don't say " I love you mummy / daddy " anymore , do they?
It's bout the face again eh ?
I also don't dare ..
Just imagine he eating halfway , then I say , " Daddy I love you ! " , then proceeds to give him a hug .. So weird !
He'll bring me to asylum for sure -_-;
Or probably .. He'd hug back and say , " I love you too silly girl . "



posted by Jia Hui at 11:42 PM |


1 Comments: