~ She is awesome <3
I just reached home not long ago and was sooo hungry .
But only managed to find long beans and winter mushrooms in fridge ..
It just so happened that I only like this vege . And I loved all types of shrooms ..
So I just combined them together and I got this :




It wasn't until this kinda times where you really pity yourself ( not really , cos' the veges taste nice ! ) and sit down at a corner to ponder about thoughts eh ? About what you've missed out in life , gone through , or .. once there , now gone .

It'll be a long post . Skip if you're not interested , else get yourself a cup of coffee / milo / coke . I've got myself a plate of veges . :D


Since young , it had always been my grandma taking care of me . Until 3 years ago , when she was sent to the old folks home .


After I was born , my mum went overseas to work . My dad had to work too .. So the one spending time with me almost every second of my life is my grandma . Oh ya , I stayed with my grandma as my dad is her youngest son . My grandma had 7 children . 5 sons , 2 daughters . She is awesome . <3


I vaguely remember what had happened 10 years ago . But I can recalled that , when I was at the age of around 8 to 14 , the closest person I was to , is my grandma .

On weekends morning , we would go to the nearby wet market and buy ingredients for lunch . After that we'd have our breakfast at the kopitiam just beside the wet market . No . I mean , I would have breakfast .. She watches me eat . And as usual , she would order 2 plain pratas and a cup of lemon barley for me while i sit there and wait .

After that we'd walk home and she'd sweep and mop the floor . On days when I'm on a happy mood , I would offer her my help . She would smile so sweetly and say in Chinese , " ok la .. since you so obedient , here's $2 . "

I would jump with joy ! Cos' at that time , my pocket money per day was only $1.50 .. Primary school la .. What you expect !?

On weekdays night , I would secretly walk to my grandma's bedroom and watch tv with her . She'd be watching news , but when I enter , she'd change to the channel that I wanna watch . At that time , the show was Meteor Garden , by F4 . After the show ended , my grandma will say goodnight to me , and she'll put a pantie on her head ( new one la ) . Don't ask me why . Maybe people at that time do that for tradition ? The only reason I can think of putting a pantie over your head is to protect you from some evil spells . HAHAHA ..

There's one time when I'm sneaking back to my room after the show ended , I was caught by my mum , she started scolding why am I still awake at this point of time and my grandma defended me . I forgot how , but she did .

Stop laughing bout the panty issue la . Na bei ..

As I grew older , I started to realise that , she actually had a bit of hunchback , walks with a limp on the left leg , and sometimes will find some place to rest her feet after walking only for a short distance . What had happened to the strong grandma ?

Since then , my dad and his brothers hired maid to look after her . As time pass , She couldn't walk anymore .. Till the point where , she couldn't even sit up on the bed without someone helping her .

We hired the first maid , Mary .. She was a lazy bum , who sleeps longer than my grandma , she's rough and uncouth ! I told my dad that Mary ain't good , she's very clumsy and stuffs .. My parents took notice and changed another one .

Ah win .. We called her .. Her name is damn long can ? Around 30 alphabets . We call her by her last name .. Weawin .. But we call her ah win la .. easier .. She's such a nice person . Having to be a maid at the age of 19 ain't easy ok . She's very careful with my grandma , and would sometimes joke with me and my family .. My dad treat her just like another daughter .. She not only took care of my grandma , but me and my lil bro as well ..

But one incident caused her to leave us . I shall not go into details .. Every house got one difficult bible to read .. ( jia jia you ben nan nian de jin .. )

So after she left us , my parents and uncles and aunties came to a final decision .. And that is to send her to old folks home .


WTF !?


I was crying like hell that night .. I think I'm only 16 then .. I mean , I've been living with her for 16 years , and now the adults are suddenly sending her to some prison meant for old people . Hello !? She's taken care of the 7 of you for more than 3/4 of her life , now you just send her to some place and take it as nothing happen ?

I was so filled wth emotions . I know I have no rights to say this at all .. But only living with her for 16 years , I've cried like hell , and that night I can't sleep , the next day I can't even concentrate in class .. What bout you people !? She has taken care of the 7 of you for 30 plus years , 40 ? Some already 50 ..

Now you just sent her to some unknown place and carry on with your life !? Fuck it . That night I was talking to Dom , bout how inhuman the adults were .. But he said , my dad and uncles must have really tried all methods , but all can't work , therefore resorting to the last one , and that is to send her there .. I remembered telling him I don't want her there , I want her to be home with me and I think I cried for 2 hours plus ? I cried till my tears are used up ! How efficient !?

But fuck it .. She still left the next day .

For the first few months after she went there , I visited her almost everyday after school .. I'd bring my homework there and do it while she sleeps . I don't care if she's watching me or sleeping I just wanna be by her side . It's fucking lonely in there . She can't walk so the only thing she does is lie on the bed .. Just imagine , lying on the bed for 20 hours per day . Can you do it ?

I tried , but I can't .. There's once I was so sick , I laid on the bed for 10 hours , but after that I must get up .. The bed will get warm correct not ? Cos' of your body temperature what . So just imagine having to lie on that bed for more than 20 hours a day .. And hello , I'm not talking bout just a day .. She lies on that bed everyday ! And the room was . horrible .. 8 people sharing a room .. If you tio those got lunatics de , at night no need sleep liao .. They're so noisy ..

Na bei . If you don't get it , go live in there for a month . Just a month will do . Everytime I went there , I'd see old folks crying , bout how useless their children were ..


She was once so strong , can carry 2kg of potatoes ( cos' I love to eat them . she's awesome )

Something tugged at my heart when I saw her sleeping so soundly. Tears started to form in my eyes for some reason . For every reason I mean .. my tears well up even when I see a boy sitting at a corner eating bread .. We're talking bout my grandma now , who has showered all of us so much love , attention , care .. How can I not cry !?

I'm used to going back home and seeing her watching tv at the living room .. But now when I reached home , it's a dread feeling .. No people to nag me to bathe , to eat dinner , to do homework ( not as if I have homework now since I'm in poly . ) .. But you get what I mean ..

Dread . Everyday ..

Nowadays even worse . I've been so unfilial .. I realised I haven't visit her for 2 months .. All thanks to my fcked up discipline .. I procrastinate a lot .. It wasn't until CNY when I saw her .. And realized again how much weight she had loss ..


She was so fit last time ok .. but now ..



This picture was taken at my 4th uncle's house . They brought her home for reunion dinner .
She looked so happy ! She smiled but showed no teeth .. I ask her where's her teeth , she say she forgot to wear .. LOL .


Behind me is my cousin . He just finished NS . Now slacking his days away .


After dinner , my 4th uncle told my grandma that he's bringing her out to walk walk .. She passed me the 2 oranges in her hand ( i bai nian to her de .. ) .. Then I say nvm nvm , my house still got a lot .. You take ba .. She smiled so sweetly ! Although showing no teeth but it's cute la .. And heart wrenching too .

Cos' all of us knew that we're sending her back to the old folk's home .. Not some garden to "walk walk " . It’s old folks home , mind you , not some luxurious retirement homes where old people lives like there's no tomorrow . We’re talking about old folks homes where the people are treated like they are walking/dead ( some are disabled ) corpse. The nurses can conveniently ignore some of the folk's requests , like getting a cup of milo for them . WTF !? How much does a cup of milo cost you ?

Last year when we sent her back , using the same lie of bringing her to walk walk , when she saw the gate of the old folk's home , she cried and didn't wanna get out of my dad's car .. Fck . I cried too .

Imagine sending your mum to some place she doesn't wanna go .. The feeling was horrible ! Of giving her away . She looked so happy when I passed her the oranges .. I'm afraid she'll cry like last year .. When she realize that she's back at the cold gate . I didn't dare think more .. Cos' tears are already forming in my eyes . When my grandma passed me the oranges and smiled , my tears almost dropped ! I have to excuse myself to the toilet , cos' I can't stand seeing them take her away ..

When I was in the toilet , I received a sms . From my brother .. He said 4 words . 4 very simple words that even a kindergarden kid will understand . " I want to cry . " These 4 words was exactly tugging in my heart / mind just then . It's like a sudden outburst . Someone else feels the same as me .

There was once , I recalled that , I told my grandma I'll only be able to visit her a week later , because I'd be extremely busy with my exams . she looked like she wanna cry .. I can imagine , just then .. How cruel I have been . A week .. It may seemed very short to us , but long to her .. Time in that prison is hard to pass .. She look at me longingly as I left .

I really feel that sending her to old folks home against her will is something inhuman . You may argue that the facilities and the availability of medical officers to take care of them is better . But seriously everytime when I visit my grandma , the nurses are busy chatting or just keep sms-ing .. I hate it when some old folks request something , they ( the nurses ) just brushed them off !

Our parents took care of us when we’re still young . We were obedient then ?

NO !

We were hard to deal with. We were naughty and I'm sure I've definitely given them hard times . In short , we were horrifying creatures . So , why can’t we do the same for our parents / grandparents when they are old and needs our love , care and attention?

If you're a married woman with a child I've got a question for you . Why is it so easy for you to take care of your baby , showering him / her so much love , but so hard to take care of your mother or father who used to tend to you with undivided attention?

When we grow up and have our own life and family , what rights do we have to neglect our parents and let them lead a lonely life when they are old and incapable? After all , they had held our hands and walk with us when we're young , so why can’t we do the same for them ? We were incapable durng our youths too , but did they send us off to some orphanage to be taken care of ? Did your parents did that to you !?

If you're talking about a poor family background and they're incapable of bringing you up , that I understand . But you know what I mean .

We had lost our sense of filial piety as people nowadays are often involved in a rat race . For some , when their parents are sick , they just send their parents to old folks homes to be ' taken care of ' even though their parents are reluctant to do so .

If one day , you realized you mum aged , and starts to limp , what will you do ? Feel embarrassed and stand 5 feet away from her ? Oh . So you mean when you're born you can walk perfectly fine and don't need people to hold you ? How wonderful ! But I can't .

I wonder .. If one day when I'm like my grandma , incapable of even sitting up from my bed , how will my children / grandchildren treat me .. Send me to some prison perhaps ?






Jay chou has many great songs ..
And the one that I'm showing you , is probably the best of all .
It's quite a fast song .. So I've typed out the lyrics and translations too in case you can't get it .

For the first 20 seconds of the video clip , Jay is asking his friends to put on ancient clothings so as for the grandmother to reminiscent memories . How thoughtful .

Although it's only a mtv , but it just shows how filial he is .

Jay Chou - Maternal Grandmother (外婆) [ click to play ]
今天是外婆生日 我换上复古西装
Today is grandmother's birthday, I changed into an ancient western suit

载着外婆开着拉风的古董车兜兜兜风
Driving grandmother around with my cool antique car

车里放着她的最爱 找回属于是她的时代
In the car plays her favourite music, retrieving back the years that belonged to her

往大稻埕码头开去把所有和外公的往事静静回忆
Driving towards Port Da Dao Cheng, quietly reminiscencing all those memories she had with grandfather

外婆她脸上的涟漪 美丽但藏不住压抑
The ripples on grandmother's face, beautiful yet fail to hide inhibition

失去了爱情只盼望亲情 弥补回应
Love has left her , she only hopes for kinship to make up for it

大人们以为出门之前桌上放六佰就算是孝敬
The adults thought they are filial just by leaving $600 on the table before they left home

一天到晚拼了命 赚钱少了关怀有什么意义
Working all day long , but lack of concern makes earning money meaningless


CHORUS

外婆她的期待 慢慢变成无奈
Grandmother's looking forward-ness /expectation slowly turns into resignation

大人们始终不明白 她要的是陪伴 ( this part is at 1.02 where the grandma's feeling touched . )
The adults don't seem to understand what grandmother needs. She needs companionship

而不是六佰块 比你給的还简单
And not just $600, it's even simpler than what you gave

外婆她的无奈 无法变成期待
Grandmother's resignation is unable to turn hopeful

只有爱才能够明白 走在淡水河畔
Only through love will you understand, walking at the bay of freshwater lake

听着她的最爱 把温暖放回口袋
Listening to her favourite song, putting warmth into her pocket


(This part is sang by Jay's cousin .)

记得去年外婆的生日 表哥(jay)带我和外婆参加
Still remembered her birthday last year, cousin(jay) brought us two to the party

他最最重视的颁奖典礼 结果却拿不到半个奖
I'm unable to get any award in the ceremony she most values upon

不知该笑不笑 我对着镜头傻笑 只觉得自己可笑
Don't know whether to laugh, smiled meekly at the camera, Feeling ridiculous

我难过 却不是因为没得奖而难过
I'm sad, not because of not getting any awards

我失落 是因为看到外婆失落而失落
I'm depressed, because my grandmother's depressed

大人们根本不能体会表哥(jay)他的用心
The adults don't understand cousin's(jay) intentions at all

好像随他们高兴就可以彻底的否定
Seems like they can reject his work if they feel like it

否定 我的作品 决定在于心情
Rejecting my work, depends on their mood

想坚持风格他们却觉得还欧颗 没惊喜没有改变
Wanted to remain my style but they feel it's outdated, unexciting and unusual

我已经听了三年 我告诉外婆
I've heard that for three years, I told grandmother

我没输 不需要改变
I did not lose, I don't need to change at all

表哥(jay)说不要觉得可惜 这只是一场游戏
Cousin(jay) said don't feel it's a pity, it's just a game only

只要外婆觉得好听 那才是一种鼓励
The biggest encouragement is only when grandmother thinks the song is nice

外婆露出了笑容说她以我为荣
Grandmother smiled and said she's proud of me

浅浅的笑容 就让我感到比得奖它还要光荣
Her smile is enough to make me feel prouder than getting an award

外婆她的期待 慢慢变成无奈
Grandmother's looking forward-ness /expectation slowly turns into resignation

大人们始终不明白 她要的是陪伴
The adults don't seem to understand what grandmother needs. She needs companionship

而不是六佰块 比你給的还简单
And not just $600, it's even simpler than what you gave

( this part where the grandma is speaking .. she said .. Jay chou sang well ..He put in all his effort .. It's a pity he didn't get the award . )

外婆她的无奈 无法期待
Grandmother's resignation is unable to turn hopeful

有爱才能够明白 走在河畔
Only through love you'll understand. Walking by the riverside

听着最爱 把温暖放口袋
Listening to her favourite song, putting warmth into her pocket

外婆她的期待 慢慢变成无奈
Grandmother'slooking forward-ness /expectation slowly turns into resignation

大人们始终不明白 她要的是陪伴
The adults don't seem to understand what grandmother needs. She needs companionship

而不是六佰块 比你給的还简单
And not just $600, it's even simpler than what you gave

外婆她的无奈 无法变成期待
Grandmother's resignation is unable to turn hopeful

只有爱才能够明白 走在淡水河畔
Only through love will you understand, walking at the bay of freshwater lake

听着她的最爱 把温暖放回口袋
Listening to her favourite song, putting warmth into her pocket
posted by Jia Hui at 10:59 PM |


0 Comments: